What's New in MorphOS 3.10
From MorphOS Library
MorphOS 3.10 is one of the biggest updates for MorphOS since the release of version 2.0. The official release notes list is long and detailed, but let's look at some of the main features and changes in a more visual way here.
Yet again the update is free of charge for registered MorphOS 2.x and 3.x users, and the registration price has been dropped even more since the previous release.
If you're new to MorphOS, please read the other articles at the MorphOS Library too.
Kernel and Hardware Support
- Support for AmigaOne X5000 computers
- 2D support for MANY new graphics cards from R600 to Northern Islands series
- Abox's memory mapping allows 192 MB more memory
- Disables the second CPU on PowerMac7 machines
- Isochronous transfers support with USB
- New PPD based printing system
- Support for Dualshock 4 and Xbox One controllers
- Drivers for new audio cards, USB serial devices, network cards, scanners, etc.
- USB MIDI support
- System time is now stored in UTC to be more compatible with other operating systems on the same machine
- Automatic DST adjustment
- Touchpads can be disabled
- Support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) icons. SVG files can be used like normal icons by renaming them as .info files, and they can be scaled without quality loss.
- Icon files can be created without embedded graphics, and they will use graphics from system default icons. This saves disk space and makes theming easier.
- Create icon and Get default options for easier icon creation
- Filesystem based virtual trashcan implementation
- Faster file copying routines
- Inline editing of date, time, comment, and protection attributes (can be activated with the middle mouse button or command-enter key combination)
- New consistent monochromatic look for all modules to work better with all kinds of skins
- New Key input, Grabber, and Preferences modules
- Calendar for the Clock module
- Many modules have been rewritten or redesigned, and have new themes
Skins and MUI Presets
There are four new skins with accompanying MUI presets. To take these into use, change the skin from Settings -> System -> Screens -> Ambient and the MUI preset from Settings -> MUI -> Settings -> Presets.
Besides the whole themes, several new MUI button sets are available for custom configurations.
Applications and Utilities
- Clock with multiple fancy looking skins
- Flow Studio is a full-featured IDE based on the feature-rich Scribble text editor, which was previously shipped with MorphOS
- LogTool for viewing and analyzing MorphOS debug logs in real-time
- Updated Odyssey Web Browser
- CSVViewer for viewing CSV files
- KeyExplorer replaces the old Keystroke utility
- MIDI Piano
- LoadLib - loads libraries and classes into memory
- PlayMidi - CAMD Midi player
- RunFS - mounts network filesystems
- Ssh2FS - mounts a remote filesystem using SFTP/SSH
- WaitForNotification - waits for file notifications
- Extensive Objective-C support
- Many new MUI libraries and Reggae classes
- HarfBuzz library for text shaping
- vgraphics.library for vector graphics
- xattr support for ixemul.library, which enables, for instance, storing Amiga's protection bits and file comments in tar archives